Sunday, November 16, 2014

November Thanks Day 16 - Let Them Eat Cake!

As I was looking through my Facebook pictures, trying to come up with something for today's thanks, I saw some things from a few years ago that made me smile. I used to bake, and decorate, cakes. There was a period in my life where I was jobless (thanks economy!), not in school, and needing a way to earn some extra money while staying sane, feeling I was learning something new. So my mom gave me the gift of a few cake decorating classes, and I was able to sell a few cakes whenever we really needed a few extra dollars.
My daughter's 5th birthday cake
The best part was seeing that I have a small creative outlet, and seeing my kids happy with some of the things I made for their birthday's. Plus, it felt good to be able to be resourceful in hard times.

A friend's wedding cake
While looking at the pictures, please keep in mind that I am in no way saying I'm as good as a professional. I'm not. I'm not Duff Goldman, Buddy Valestro, or any other greats (some of my co-workers, and my mom, are truly great decorators), but for my own capabilities I'm not that bad. And it brings me joy to create something (after loads of stress trying to get it done). Also, I have to say that I miss doing this on occasion. It has been about two-three years since I tried my hand at any serious decorating, basically since motherhood, work, and school took over my life :)
Gender reveal cake
Her fourth birthday cake,
and yes, the top tower is leaning!

Birthday cake for a friend



Yule Log


No comments:

Post a Comment