Friday, June 15, 2012

Rose and Crown's Guinness Cake

I found this gem of a recipe a few weeks ago, and will admit to being hesitant to trying it. You see, I am not a fan of beer (and yes, I have tried many different types and still prefer other adult beverages), and the idea of mixing chocolate with something I don't really like seemed odd to me. Still, though, I decided that this challenge is all about doing things we normally wouldn't do, while sharing Disney with all of you. I am so happy that I decided to give it a try. I will also include a recipe for a Bailey's frosting that is not from Disney, but couples well with this cake (note, if you are serving this to family and want something non alcoholic, substitute with Bailey's coffee creamer, it works well).




Ingredients: 

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
6 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 TB baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups Guinness Stout
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Frosting:

3 cups of powdered sugar
1 cup (two sticks) of butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons of Bailey's

Begin by creaming the butter and sugar together. Gradually add in the eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. In a completely separate bowl stir together the cocoa powder and Guinness. Alternate between adding the flour and Guinness mixture to the mixing bowl. Once done, place in greased cake pans (I used one 10*10) and baking for 1 hour and 30 minutes (it took 1 hour and 8 minutes for me) at 275 degrees. Let sit for 5 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from pan and frosting.
Egg, sugar, and butter
After Guinness has been added
Cake cooling!
Combine all of the frosting ingredients together and mix well - it is best to use a hook instead of whisk for these types of frosting. Spread on cake as desired. 
Combine and mix well
Pour on top of cake
Enjoy!

Please join Krystal tomorrow at www.magicaldismom.com for another magical recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment