Monday, May 14, 2012

Disney Delights

Photo from www.caffeinetime.wordpress.com
As most of you know, I'm from the West Coast (i.e. the land of coffee). When I first moved to Florida to take part in the Walt Disney College Program I had a very hard time adjusting to being so far away from home. It was the first time I had ever really worked, been away from home, and had roommates. The first few days in our wonderful Chatham apartment I remember being slightly shell shocked, and just existing between work related moments.

My wonderful roommates (they were/are wonderful, wonderful ladies) helped me out the best way they could with directions, work tips, and eager interest at my life back home. No matter what, though, I couldn't seem to make myself fit in.

About a week into me being there, my roommates surprised me with a small outing - we were on the hunt for a coffee shop! Let me preface this by saying they had heard plenty about my shock at not having a coffee pot supplied by Disney (I had been told that our kitchen would be fully furnished - a kitchen without a coffee pot is not really a kitchen!), and had seen my joy when a friend's Grandmother mailed me a small coffee pot. So, the three of them decided that I needed a small taste of home, and out we went into Orlando to find it!

It took 20 minutes for us to locate a Starbucks (in my own hometown there is literally a coffee shop every few blocks), but in that time I truly was able to let loose and get to know my roommates. After finally entering the shop, it was my pleasure (and also shock) to show them how to order a mocha, and what flavor pairing would be best. From that moment on I had lifelong friends.

Now that Disney and Starbucks are forming an in park relationship, it makes me happy to think of those old days and the joys that those two separately brought me.

No comments:

Post a Comment