Wednesday, May 23, 2012

School for Young Kids

Since the beginning of this school year I have eagerly been anticipating starting the enrollment process of my son in pres-school. It seemed like the natural step with his sister going to the same school, and both of them having many shared friends that will be in attendance, along with the (perceived) educational benefits. Over the past month, I have been experiencing many reservations, and have talked to my husband about not placing our son, Ken, in pre-school yet but simply enrolling him in sports and sending him for more church activities. Then, I read this today by the amazing Betsy Shaw that confirmed even more for me that school for young children may just not be the way to go.

My daughter (a very bright little thing if I do say so myself) has struggled this past year in school. It is hard for her to sit still for so long, not be able to joyfully socialize, and to be reprimanded for using her creative skills instead of the rigid ones provided at school. It has caused her to try and beg out of going to school constantly - and she used to be excited by it. Also, I would like to add that both my husband and myself are readily available to help my daughter and love doing so, as do her grandparents. The trouble she has had is in no way related to her abilities or issues in the home.

Please understand, I dearly love her teacher and think that the school curriculum is fantastic, but do 5 year olds really need to learn reading, writing, science, math, and history for a full 6 hours a day? In retrospect, I do not feel she was ready for such a transition. Maybe for half day kindergarten... Or maybe the home-schooled version (which I successfully did and graduated high school at a very early age) that allows flexibility with a decent dose of allowing kiddish happenings with a side of learning.

I know that this is not the answer for all kids - some could definitely use the structure that school provides at an early age; however, I do think it is worthwhile to consider the thoughts and studies that have been happening for years on the subject. When I was younger, my parents attended many seminars and classes, and I always remember my father telling me that no matter how early I learned to do something, I would be even with my peers (those without disabilities and had active parents) by about the third grade. The studies/thoughts have said that kids brains develop at different rates, but seem to even out by this age, and all kids (no matter what their learning process) seem to be neck in neck with their abilities.

Why, then, stress young children out with needing to know certain things faster than everyone else? Why put a bitter taste of education in their little mouths instead of gradually nurturing their expectations to make a fully positive experience? One that will hopefully lead to them making college choices early, and actually being involved with those choices for a better future.


No comments:

Post a Comment