Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jiko Macaroni and Cheese

This week I decided to prepare some Jiko's Macaroni and Cheese. I have never had it before, but the recipe sounded so good (huge cheese lover here) and like the perfect bit of comfort food my family would need with our hectic life pace. The recipe did not disappoint - it has such a unique blend of cheese flavors, and a wonderful creamy texture. I hope you all give it a try!
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 quart whole milk
1 1/4 cups Quattro Fromage (4-cheese mixture of asiago, provolone, fontina, and gruyere cheeses)
2 tablespoons white wine (any will do)
2 pounds elbow macaroni (I should mention this is 2 pounds cooked macaroni, a big mistake I made)

Prepare the macaroni according to the directions on the box - I always like to boil mine with some pepper and garlic salt. While macaroni is boiling, start grating cheese for the sauce, and extra to bake on top (I grated an extra 1 1/4 cups).
Macaroni with seasonings
Cheese for topping
Combine flour and butter in a pan over low heat to form a roux. Make sure to stir continuously so the roux does not burn (even slight burning ruins the taste) until a pale brown. At the same time, bring the milk to a simmer. Once this has been done, and the roux is complete, stir the roux into the milk. Then, add in the cheese, wine, and any wanted seasonings and pour over the macaroni.
Roux ingredients
Finished roux
Milk and roux
Complete with topping and seasonings
Place the macaroni in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes to warm through, and melt the cheese topping. Plate with a favorite veggie dish and bread, and enjoy!
Comfort food dinner!
Make sure to continue our dining journey with Krystal at www.partnersbehindthemouse.com

2 comments:

  1. You had me at Mac and Cheese - sounds wonderful. Can't wait to give this one a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do! I should mention I did not use fontina cheese, but substituted parmesan instead. So yummy and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete