Monday, August 11, 2014

Know Your Story

Because school is right around the corner (whether I'd like to admit that or not), I decided it was time to discuss a very simple way to bring about classroom success. Now, I am in no way advocating that this is the only way to help your child in the classroom. Everyone is different, and there are so many valuable ways out there to help students learn (I will showcase some of those ways every few weeks) that it would be wrong to say that this is the fix all for every person out there.

A few years ago I stumbled on an article that made me really stop and ponder for a while. The article (a version of which can be read here) claimed that studies are vastly improved when children know their family history. Sound silly? It did to me, at first, but then I read on and found that what they psychologists were saying is that students who know what their families accomplished going back several generations, and failed at, have a stronger sense of self worth, stronger values, and an ability to combat stress better.

The point is to sit children down and tell them how their family came to be. What things have they overcome and still been standing, with their family, at the end? No family is perfect, no family has the perfect tale, and it's important for all of our kids to see the struggles, the heroic tales, and the mundane that all helped create them. The studies that were done by Dr's Duke and Fivush comprised of twenty questions for a scale about basic family history (including health knowledge that we should all know) and has questions such as "Do you know where your grandparents grew up? Do you know where your mom and dad went to high school? Do you know where your parents met? Do you know an illness or something really terrible that happened in your family? Do you know the story of your birth?" (Feiler, 2013). A mere two months after these psychologists ran their study, 9/11 took place. At this point, the psychologists, again, studied the children who took part in this scale and came to the conclusion that those who knew their past were better able to cope with these horrific events.

How does all of this help with school? When children have a strong sense of self they are able to determine what they want to do in the future (even if that future is, say, a week from now when they will have a test) and will set out to conquer it. This can be applied to studies, and to finding a career that they want. When children are able to monitor their stress levels, and cope, they will be able to handle difficult courses in school, and will not (like many students I have seen) break down and give up on a difficult math problem, or while reading a difficult story.

Personally, I can relate to this study. I have known that my family were once Norwegian farmers and have now climbed up to produce a generation full of engineers, medical personnel, missionaries, and small business owners. Even now, as I finish up  my schooling, I am propelled further in my studies and career by not wanting to stop that cycle of growth, and wanting to honor my family by doing well. At the same time, knowing my family has also taught me that there is no shame in a simple life, so long as family and God are always kept close.

Though most of us are always running on a time crunch, Dr. Duke suggests this can be done while "parents pursue similar activities with their children. Any number of occasions work to convey this sense of history: holidays, vacations, big family get-togethers, even a ride to the mall". For us, I have tried showing my own children who they are, and where they have come from. Each week, four generations of us are together for church and lunch. Also, we have different things around the house (like an apron from my Great Grandmother) that the kids get to use, and hear about these people as they use them.

How will you share your history with your kids?

My children with their Grandparents

Great Grandma with my kids and their second cousins
Kids and their second cousins (or cousins once removed, whatever they are)

My children with their Great Grandma and Great Uncle
 

No comments:

Post a Comment