Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Disney Style Family Movie Night


Photo from epicparent.tv

For a while now, I have been looking for a weekly family activity to do that will bring us all together, not cause fighting (can we say difficult with more than one child!), and is economical. In the beginning we tried family game night, but my son (age 3) had a very difficult time staying focused and understanding the rules and structure. 

Then, a few weeks ago, I decided to schedule a family movie night to was The Muppets. The kids and I had already seen the movie in the theater with their grandparents, but my husband had yet to see it, and I needed an excuse to rent it OnDemand. I decided to make a big deal with it in cooking a larger meal than normal, and serving it to the kids on the living room floor, and we all had a blast.

A few days later, my kids got to have a movie night with their grandparents and watched Peter Pan for the first time. I cannot tell you how much fun it was to share some of the movies I used to watch as a child with them in that type of setting. After Peter Pan ended, my son ran around pretending he was Peter Pan, and that he and his shadow were going to defeat the evil Captain Hook!

Since we started having movie nights, I have spent lots of time researching the old Disney classics to see how easy they are to purchase or rent. Amazon.com offers most of the old movies (such as Pollyana and Follow Me, Boys!) for only $1.99 to rent - also checked Netflix and iTunes for rentals (iTunes is a bit more on the spendy side).

It's so much fun making lists of movies to share, and until the kids are older it gives my husband and I an extra level to connect on shouting out different things we loved as kids. And, for now, it gives us all something to look forward to during the week. I hope it's something all of you will give a try too!

No comments:

Post a Comment