Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kids and the Disney Legacy


l have to admit that as soon as I found out I was pregnant with our daughter, I immediately thought about all of the Disney movies I could not wait to share with my child. At the time, I was obsessed with the Aristocats, and my husband and I ran out and purchased a purple, stuffed Marie to put in the nursery.

After she was born, I promptly started the Disney induction by always having Playhouse Disney in the background, and only played Disney tunes (and, I'll admit, occasionally Broadway) in hopes that she would eventually follow my footsteps in being an avid Disney fan (or as my husband lovingly calls me, a nut).



image from
www.mmstreasures.com
 

As soon as she was old enough to actually sit down and watch movies, I had added to our brood with a newborn baby boy. So we watched lots of Mary Poppins and Sleeping Beauty - anything with good music mommy could sway the kiddos to!

By mid toddler years it seemed that Disney had started to bring back their magic in the movies, and hits like Cars, Princess and the Frog, and Tangled were coming out. Fortunately for me, almost all of the new movies were ones that both of my children could enjoy together, and have wonderful morals and acting that make it enjoyable for me and my husband. As you can see, Princess and the Frog was a true favorite that made its way into our Halloween!


As my kids have grown older, I have started to reminisce about the Disney movies I watched as a child, and how they added sparks to my imagination. I will admit that I have not shown a lot of the tried and true classics yet as they seem corny to today's youth. Then I started thinking, what's wrong with corny? There are so many of the old movies I cannot wait to share with my kids like Blackbeard's Ghost, Moonspinners, The Rescuers, Steamboat Willie, and more that are perfect for their childhood innocence and wanting of adventure. Old fashioned or not, these are part of my legacy (and the Disney legacy) that I will proudly pass on to them.

So what about you, what Disney movies of the past are you most excited to share with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment