Thursday, May 14, 2015

Special Eats Magic Style

The awesome Disneyland
A few weeks ago I shared my concern about being able to eat while on vacation at Disneyland. Early on this year I found out that I have a very intense food allergy/sensitivity that requires me to pretty much eat everything from scratch (think along the lines of Paleo. Ugh!). Because of that, a few months ago I began planning what to bring in the event that all of my hopes about Disney dining weren't true.

The night before our flight, my hubby and I went to our local stores and bought cheese (which I froze), almonds, and Larabars. Enough that I knew I could sustain myself for breakfast and lunch every day if nothing else was available. And, given my luck in my own hometown, I knew nothing would really be an option for me.

On our first day, we were exhausted, hot, and starving after getting up at 3:00am, and not reaching Anaheim until 1:30pm. While waiting for our hotel room to open, we went a few doors down to Dennys. To my shock and awe, Dennys actually has some salads that are gluten free and fit for clean eating. After telling the incredible staff about what could not even touch my food, it was delivered exactly as requested (and I could tell story upon story about how places I frequent at home cannot get this simple requirement down). The servers went above and beyond to make certain I had exactly what I needed, and even prompted me on what type of dressing they felt I could have (first day, I was told I might want to avoid the honey mustard since it has gluten, which is not something I react too but it was nice to know someone was looking out for me). Because of the great service we received, we actually ate at Dennys every single day of our trip, minus the very last day given that we left prior to lunch.

After having lunch, taking a nap, and getting freshened up before time in the park, we headed off to explore a bit before reservations at the Carnation Café. I had made ADR's (Advanced Dining Reservations) there two months earlier, and had put special note down of my food restrictions. As soon as we checked in at the Café, we were immediately asked which person had the food allergy/sensitivity and clarification on whether or not I felt I needed to speak to a chef -  I decided to put my trust in Disney, and forego the chef. Our waitress immediately came, and gave us all menus pointing out that mine was different. Apparently, Disneyland is rolling out a new program for those of us who cannot eat the same as everyone else! I have to admit, I was very excited to see that I had multiple options, and would not be forced to eat a Larabar while my family had delicious park food! She then insisted that I list exactly what I had problems with food wise so that she could inform the chef, as they would cross reference everything they prepared for me. Being the chicken that I am, I stuck with salad the entire trip, the salad that I had here was absolutely delicious and worthwhile!

Special menus for special people
The next day we had ADR's for the Storyteller Café in the Grand Californian Hotel. We had no idea what to expect here, and were both a little nervous about how nice the restaurant was - prior to kids this would have been fine/normal. 8 1/2 years into children and we are on the extreme casual end of cuisine! After being seated, we had the most lovely waitress from Japan. She bent over backwards to make us feel welcome, to joke around with our kids, and to make certain that I felt normal. Though I did not ask for it, she put in an order for some special gluten free bread so that I could enjoy a small amount prior to our meal just as the rest of my family was. The bread was, to be honest, the highlight of dinner and I ate every single bite. So delicious (please, oh please, Disneyland give me the recipe!)! Again, prior to ordering I was given the option to have a chef come out and speak with me and declined as I saw I had options (important to note that this restaurant does NOT have an allergy menu, but is able to work around it). I am a chicken, so salad again it was for me and it was also delicious. If we ever go back we will be rushing back to this restaurant!
My kiddo got to make his own pizza at the table

Just loved the lights at the Storyteller Cafe
On our last day we had ADR's set for Goofy's Kitchen, and decided to cancel. For one, we were trying to stay on a budget, and for another we both were stressed about trying to rush to different areas of the parks on time. That day we chose to eat at Red Rockets Pizza Port and just see how everything went - I was curious to see if they could accommodate me at a quick service location! After wandering around, I realized that the only thing I could have was *ding ding* salad. And the salads that had already been made needed to have things removed. So I asked those behind the counter if they could make me a new salad, and stated it was for food allergy/sensitivity. Immediately they went back and got a chef, and had them come out to prepare my food for me. Granted, what I ate was not special, but it was wonderful to see that I could eat anywhere and someone would try their best to make sure I was eating safely.

Now, I know most of you are probably wondering why I did not go out and eat more than just salad. The real reason is that I was/am scared. I did not want to risk having a reaction while I was on vacation and possibly have some residual effects while on the airplane. Not only that, but I was tired of the whole thing by the time we got to the park (the night before trying to rush around and find things I could have had gotten to me) and just wanted to feel normal and order something I knew would be fine. You all are also probably wondering why I did not take pictures of my food. I decided to make my husband and kids happy and be more "in the moment" instead of constantly capturing them on film. And I feel it was well worth it!

I hope this has inspired some of you to take a trip, and put aside any eating concerns you may have. Disneyland goes above and beyond to provide a magical experience, even to those of us that need some extra help and attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment