Thursday, April 16, 2015

Easter This Year

Mama’s Losin’ It
One of the prompts from Mama Kat for this week was asking to recap Easter. So recap it I shall, even though it was the most uneventful, least holiday feeling, day that my family and I have had for a while.

You see, a few days before Easter, my Grandfather passed away a few days earlier. The weekend prior to Easter, my mom flew clear across the country to try and see him for the last time. There was a massive mess in her even reaching Pensacola, Florida from Seattle, Washington in that she missed her connecting flight, had to then fly to a different state, her luggage was lost, and then my aunt's (who picked her up) car battery died at the airport. She did make it to see him, though, and made it just in time as he passed the next day before she was able to make a return visit.His memorial (very rushed as it was) was a mere 4 days before Easter. Though I have not seen, or talked, to him in years it was a hard hit. In all of that, plus saving for our trip and dealing with some other harsh realities that life threw at us, Easter was definitely an after thought this year.
Both of my Grandparents
Normally, either my mom or myself gets the kids Easter outfits and treats. This year, between the trip, my mom's incredibly expensive flight, and grief, the kids wore normal clothes, and had no treats from us, which is okay as we do not celebrate the Easter Bunny in our house (not judging those who do, I just don't feel it's the reason to celebrate that day). Thankfully, though, the kids had a "feast" in Sunday school, along with treats and a bracelet, and their Great Grandmother  put effort in and got them some chocolate bunnies.
Bracelet from Sunday School

Treat from Great Grandma

Excited for his bunny
Before anyone thinks our Easter was miserable, it wasn't. We still laughed, were together as a family, and went out to eat. We still went to church, acknowledged the day for what it was, and lived life. It just wasn't normal in the anticipation and preparation. And that's okay. Part of life is dealing with death, and accepting that it will come to all of us some day. It doesn't matter that we are scared of it, or do our best to push it off, it is coming, and those left behind will keep on living.

Last weekend, after feeling more emotionally grounded, my mom cooked a belated Easter "feast" so the kids felt like something more was done. We all gathered around the table, enjoyed delicious food, and listened to my mom talk about her memories of my Grandfather.

Belated Happy Easter to you all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry. I wish he had been strong enough to enjoy one last Easter with the family. It's always so hard to let go of a piece of our family's legacy.

    ReplyDelete