Saturday, June 28, 2014

And the Word of the Day Is...

Let me say that I firmly believe in helping out when possible. Communities thrive when people pitch in and volunteer, churches become stronger, and families are saved from loads of stress when a few hours of time are given to them. This, in fact, is something that I have tried to instill in my children: Time is a gift, and is important to give others.  I feel so strongly about this that I volunteer at our church, and can be found teaching Sunday school, assisting other Sunday school teachers, helping out with the Christmas musical, help out at the annual sports camp, and babysit when needed - to me, children learn by seeing almost more than hearing and I intend that they see me practicing what I preach.

In saying all of this, I have become very aware recently that I need to teach myself, and my kids, that saying no is important as well. To be a successful busy mom means that I know how to look at everything I have selected in my life, and divide my time out to things I value, things with a high return for my family, and things I am able to rejuvenate myself from. Not only that, but I need to remember that God did not give me a cape and label me "Super-Mom", I will not wreck the world if I choose to limit my "yes"es.

Recently, I have become tired in just thinking about all I have to do every day. Deadlines loom in my mind, dreams have flooded my nights about the things that are waiting for me. Irritability is the mommy crown I wear daily (as proof, my daughter told me the other day "it's okay you're grouchy, mommy, some moms are like that when they're really busy"). On top of it all, it feels like I am getting requests daily for more pieces of myself. Pieces that would be simple to give if I had more available. As I released about all of this to two friends, I was told to just say no. How simple is that? One word with two letters, and no apologies attached. A guilt free, powerful (but small) statement to start throwing the mental stress off a cliff.

So, for any of you mom's out there that may feel like you're drowning, don't let your mouth say the opposite of your mind. As more comes to you that is not a necessity, declare, without guilt, that no you will not be taking part in whatever it is that will take precious, sanity saving, moments away from you. Repeat after me "no", and end it there.
photo credit to www.chicagonow.com

With any of you reading this that know me personally, yes this means that I am off the table for any extra anything for the next two months. Any favor or volunteer requests may be submitted to me September first, until then the answer is "no" with no apologies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment