Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Great Resolution Debate

Before I get into this post, I would first and foremost like to say Happy New Years to you all! 2012 was a wonderful year full of learning, laughter, and it's own form of trials for each one of us. Hopefully this next year is as good, but maybe even better!

Photo credit to valmg.com

With the coming of New Years it has always given me (and, I'm sure, the rest of the world) the chance to think about past habits and how we would like to wipe the slate clean, so to speak, and change them. The endless list of resolutions seems expected and, the same amount of expectation seems to be given to breaking those resolutions within the first month or so of the new year. We all do it, we all spend time coming up with these long lists and set out January 1, 20?? determined to be that new, world changed person. And then 3 weeks later that list just doesn't seem that fun and exciting anymore. Going to the gym is a trial, trying new things costs too much money, being a better spouse is just too hard, and giving all faith to God and going to church isn't nearly as much fun as sleeping in or watching sports on TV.

This last year was a year of changes for me (and I can assure you, none of those changes was due to my 2012 resolutions list) and when midnight struck this morning, I sat and pondered if there was a point to me making that list. Is there a point to it at all? I do have many goals I would like to attempt and initiate, but the pressure of it being the beginning of the year, and the mental excuses of easily breaking that list scares me to even try it now. 

 After looking up the word "resolve" it means to account for, give reason, decision and determination. A resolution, in the dictionary sense, isn't a passing whim that so many of us make, but should be a very serious self promise and contract. And since there are many changes I do need to make (and would have ended up doing regardless of the calendar change), I have decided to list my resolutions for myself and my family.

1. Keep promises to myself. This can be by keeping resolutions, waking up at 6AM to study/workout, prepping for work as I should, etc.
2. Stop eating out and cook at home daily. I have one eat out cheat day per week, and maybe one a month with Ken.
3. Set up a weekly meal plan, and shop accordingly
4.  Do something with the kids every day that doesn't have to do with the daily routine of chores/eating/discipline.
5. Read all of God Quest and ask questions
6. Do some form of work out every day (could be as simple as a 20 minute walk, but need to actually get up and move).
7. Find a way to save for a Disney trip, and the household items we need
8. Study every single day, including Sunday. It may not be the required 2 hrs per day, but something needs to be accomplished.
9. Take vitamins and aspirin daily to help with heart health and immune system.
10. Read the Bible with the kids daily, and encourage them in finding their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment