Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Role - Costuming

As many of you know, my role at WDW was in costuming. During my initial interview for the College Program, I was handed a list and asked to select my top three choices for a job. Costuming was my first choice because I loved the idea of being able to create the magic I felt in the parks. Luckily, they gave me my wish and I was able to work in the costuming department at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I initially started working at the warehouse for cast members. It was a tiring, long job of scanning in dirty costumes (imagine sweat filled clothes from the Florida heat, or clothes with food dripped all over from Boma and Jiko), and checking out new costumes to cast members.

After a few weeks of doing that, I was able to move over to the costuming warehouse prepping character's costumes for meet and greats and the Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade. This is where the magic began for me, and though I had many days where I would start work around 5 in the morning, it was worth it to me knowing that I made kids getting an autograph and picture from their favorite character possible.

Near the end of my internship, I was given the opportunity to work at the Festival of the Lion King. While there, I fully realized how magical it is to work for Disney and be surrounded by such wonderful talent every day. The work was fun and entertaining, as we had to be behind the scenes during each performance to assist different characters. There were times I felt as though I could substitute for a stilt walker and perform on my own! The best part of working there was being able to pull back the curtain and see all of the beaming faces in the audience, there's nothing more satisfying than knowing a memory was created because of your own hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment