Thursday, August 11, 2011

D23 - Worth It?


Like many Disney enthusiasts, I was interested in learning more about the magazine D23 as soon as word of its existence started leaking out. What I learned was that D stood for Disney, and 23 for 1923, the year the company was formed; I also learned it would be an in depth magazine featuring little known Disney information and pictures. For $74.99 I could get a year long membership, that had 4 issues. As much as I wanted it, the price was too steep, but I dared put it on my Christmas list in hopes someone would be generous enough to give it to me: I was lucky enough to have a mother that recognized I needed to be rewarded for my love of all things Disney!

Since receiving my first issue in December 2009 I have received many little "gifts," two certificates, two membership cards, and 7 issues. The gifts have ranged from a watch (nice, not much detail, and was given as a thank you for continuing my membership) to some Epcot patches that I plan on sewing on to my apron. Even though the gifts are small, it is nice to know that a little something extra will be received each time.

As for the magazine itself... The pictures and layout are beautiful, and make it hard to even break open and read for fear of bending the pages. After getting over the initial reservation and looking over the content, it is fairly decent. Each issue has different writers and topics, though some things will always be included - There will always be an article listing some little known fact (plus pictures) about Walt, and there will always be recipes from the parks/Disney chefs/resorts. It also always includes information on the latest Disney movies.

Since I began getting D23, there are been articles about Princess and the Frog, Toy Story 3, Gnomeo and Juliet, Tangled, and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. While D23 does include lots of unknown information behind each of the movies, it feels like reading one of the leading entertainment magazines, which I could purchase for $3.99 at my super market, or check out for free at my local library.

Also, some of the magazine feels like reading an advertisement for a travel agency! I know that Disney is trying to do whatever they can to get more visitors, but having a large section of an issue (including the cover) about the Disney Cruise Line was a bit much. Yes, it is nice to know about the new ship, and all of its amenities, but I feel the same information is covered in a free Disney Vacation DVD.

The magazine is also relatively small for being so expensive. Each issue has about 60 pages, which may seem like a lot but taken in to the context of only receiving 4 a year, I would expect something much larger and more detailed.

I have been very lucky to receive D23 since December 2009 (it was renewed by my mother for me, gotta love her), and I still eagerly anticipate it every quarter; however, if it was up to me to purchase on my own I would have to say that I would pass. The high price, and information easy to find in other places would make me want to save my money for a rainy day, or other Disney purchases.


No comments:

Post a Comment