Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life Skills on the College Program

I opened up my Facebook page today, and noticed a posting from the Disney College Program. Their message today was simply "what life skills did you learn on the program?" I quickly put down my response of the basics about learning how to manage a bank account, get along with others, and have more fun. After clicking submit, I really started to think about my time in the program, and what others coming after me could benefit from. In other words, what else does this program contain that would make a student want to move far from home (at least it was far in my case), and go into a completely known world.

The first positive is pretty self explanatory - working for a top company like Walt Disney World will definitely help when creating a resume. Even if you have zero job experience prior to the College Program, that will be an attention grabber, and for good reason. After completing the application, interview, Traditions, training, and then working in the fast paced parks for so many months anything else will seem easy. Literally anything. Not only that, but any future company knows the WDW reputation for requiring excellence from all of their cast members. There is no slouching, frowning, leaning, back talking, laziness, or bad attitude allowed. People who make it through the grueling process are those who can create magic for all guests, and actually want to do it. These are the people who are willing, wanting, and waiting to go the extra mile. Now why wouldn't any employer want those qualities?

Another positive is the transition into the real world. Technically, we cast members lived on our own (as in, away from parents and schools) but are still in Disney provided housing with excellent security guards, and common sense rules to provide extra safety. It's a start though, it's a real tool to learn how to get along with roommates, cook, clean, do laundry, pay bills (although rent is taken, automatically, from each check), and get to work on time. Oh, and lets not forget having a bank. Disney provides a banking service from a company called Vista. For some (like me) it's a first to have a bank account, and Disney does what they can to educate. On the first day of being on property, Disney required all of us to attend an orientation, and part of that was teaching us how to fill out a check, balance a check book, and sign up for a bank account. Also, Vista has some very helpful bankers that will sit down and explain even more about budgeting and what not.

Something else to definitely keep in mind is the life lasting friendships that come from the experience. Every person you meet will be unique, and contribute something to the person you will develop into over the course of the internship. My former roommates, for example, are still friends of mine. We don't necessarily communicate every day, or very often, but they are always on my mind. We check up on one another via Facebook, and chat by text occasionally. At the birth of my daughter, I received gifts, cards, and congratulations from them, and with each achievement they have I make sure to share my happiness. Other friends met in Traditions, and on the job, are still part of my life with fairly regular life updates. Each of them mean so much to me, and helped make my time in the College Program special, and bearable when times got hard. And I will never forget them.

I think, though, that the biggest things that can be gained is self confidence. After going through so much, you will know that you can do anything you set your mind to (with the right amount of effort and work, of course). Not only that, but knowing that you were one of the fortunate few chosen to be in the College Program, that you have so much passion a Disney recruiter can see it during their brief interview, is more than enough of a confidence booster.

All in all, so much can be gained by applying. Not all that I have listed are "life skills" to most people, but to me they are. I cannot imagine a better program for life preparation, and some day, when my daughter turns 18, I hope she'll follow in my footsteps and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment